It all starts with the hens, of course, and our farmers ensure that the hens are raised in state-of-the-art, clean, safe environments with everything the latest science tells us they need. The feed provided ensures the hens’ health and, in turn, that they lay nutritious, wholesome eggs.
Many of the people who buy our eggs live within 100 miles of the farms where the eggs are laid and can purchase them within a day or two of the hens laying them. We currently produce and distribute eggs for our premier legacy egg brands and many of the “store” brands in Northern California; all packed in recycled, non-toxic packaging, utilizing methods that require minimal materials.
All of our farms have comprehensive, multi-faceted quality assurance and food safety programs in place. They are continually monitored and certified by various organizations, including the USDA, the Global Food Safety Initiative, the Humane Farm Animal Care, and the United Egg Producers.
Our farms receive superior audit scores from the USDA and third-party auditing teams and strictly adhere to the California Egg Quality Assurance Program. We are especially proud that the Safe Quality Food Program, the leading global food safety program whose certification lets retailers know that we have met or exceeded all food safety regulations, has certified our plants at level three while many of the largest grocery chains only require their suppliers to be rated at level two.
The guidelines, systems, and processes we employ in all our facilities ensure that our products receive the most prestigious national and international certifications and approvals, so you know you are getting high-quality eggs every day.
Our family farmers’ goal for generations has always been to produce the safest, freshest, most delicious eggs in a way that protects and enhances the soil, air, water, and the environment in which we live. They work hard to use all resources carefully and farm methodically while integrating all aspects of their farming operations.
As demand to feed our state’s population continues to grow, sustainability becomes much more critical. We continually took for ways to use water and cropland more efficiently while using less fuel, water, etc.
Every aspect of the egg production process is in a constant state of review. Improvements have led to a reduced environmental footprint and things like increased feed efficiency, advancements in hen housing, and best practices in manure management.
Just a few things our farms are involved with:
- We purchase feed grains from local producers whenever possible.
- Stormwater runoff is captured and used for irrigation of nearly all of our on-farm cropland with a portion of the crops grown used to feed our egg-laying hens.
- Redirecting poultry waste to packaged organic-based lawn fertilizers and soil amendments.
- Packaging waste has been reduced by up to 85% through recycling and consolidation programs established with area recycling facilities.
- Our farmers’ almond production divisions works in conjunction with their poultry divisions to use a large percentage of our animal waste in-house and is applied using intense nutrient management to reduce groundwater nitrification.
- Processing facilities moved lighting to efficient LED.
- Solar field powers a majority of a farm’s energy used to operate henhouses, processing plants, pellet mills, and cold storage. Sheep are used to maintain a weed-free environment under and around the solar field rather than herbicides or fossil fuel-powered mowers.
Over the years, our farmers have been proud to support many charitable activities. We’ve been happy to partner with local food banks, The City of Hope Cancer Foundation, Olive Crest, the Boy Scouts, local schools, Camp Fire Relief, California Grocers Association Educational Foundation, and more.
We work with each of our farmers as a cross-functional team, including production, transportation, marketing, research and development, and managing the relationships with our retail, foodservice, and individual consumer needs. This approach ensures that our farm-fresh eggs arrive safely and quickly to our customers so that families receive the highest-quality eggs possible when they buy from any of the brands, retailers, and distributors that we supply.