The very first food that I learned how to cook when I was a kid was scrambled eggs. It’s simple, it’s convenient, and doesn’t require an incredibly hot stovetop. I loved feeling “so grown-up” cooking for myself and my parents. To this day, it’s still my go-to quick and healthy breakfast.
I melt a pat of butter in the skillet, pour in just enough milk to cover the bottom of the skillet, let it heat up, crack two eggs, then scramble it all with my turner, moving constantly until it’s all fluffy and cooked.
But you don’t always have that extra 5-10 minutes, and you are left with a messy skillet and turner that requires some scrubbing – especially if it’s not non-stick. So, if you’re looking for a simpler way to get that same healthy, satiating, and protein-filled breakfast, why not turn to your microwave?
Thanks to Egg Farmers of Canada, we have an incredibly fast but still delicious, microwaveable scrambled egg recipe, and all you need is:
- A microwave-safe ramekin or small bowl
- Cooking Spray or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Farm Fresh Eggs
- 2 TBSP (30mL) of Whole or 2% Milk
- Your preferred seasoning
1) Take your ramekin, small bowl, or even a microwave-safe mug and lightly spray it with cooking oil or use a paper towel to wipe it down with vegetable or canola oil.
2) Mix, whisk, or scramble together your eggs, milk, and (optional) seasoning in your bowl or mug, then cover it lightly with plastic wrap, leaving one small opening for venting.
3) Microwave it at medium (70%) power for somewhere between one (1) minute and thirty (30) seconds to one (1) minute and forty-five (45) seconds, pausing the microwave to stir several times during the cooking process.
4) Remove from the microwave, fully cover, and let stand for somewhere from thirty (30) seconds to one (1) full minute, allowing the eggs to finish cooking and firm up.
For extra zip, consider adding ham, cheese, spinach, cayenne pepper, etc. You may need to slightly adjust your cooking time depending on what you add to your concoction.
And there you go! Simple, delicious scrambled eggs in less than three minutes with only one small dirty dish. You can barely pour a bowl of cereal in that amount of time, and the protein you get from your morning eggs will help give you that power boost you need to start your day!
By utilizing cage-free farm fresh eggs, you’ll end up with an even more delectable and healthy morning breakfast (or evening snack – we’re not judging), that might be exactly what you need to finish that project, get through that meeting, or simply make it out your door first thing in the morning.
Eggs Farmers of Canada. Basic Microwave Scrambled Eggs. Retrieved from